Monday, October 08, 2007

Charmed Monday Minute- 10/8/07

Dear Lovely Readers -

I wrote in Creating a Charmed Life that I love the fall and couldn't remember ever being unhappy in October. Well, it's October and I'm pretty sad. The loss of James is less a shock now and more a reality, and being here to support my husband in his deep, deep grief, while still going through my own, is a real soul stretch. Everything in our lives is changing and my assignment is to hold on, stay afloat, and know that right now, it's not about me. I wish I could put my ego in the dryer on high and shrink it like cheap jeans.

Thanks again for all the cards, calls, emails, prayers, donations to James's fund, and good thoughts all 'round. They mean the world. You all mean so much to me. You're my core group, the people I truly write for. It's so wonderful to know you're there.

Love and light,
Victoria

Need your input:

HarperOne wants to do a sequel to Creating a Charmed Life that we'll call Living a Charmed Life. This would be a tenth anniversary companion volume. If you've read the original, tell me what you'd like to see in the sequel. Here are some questions to get your thoughts going:

-What did you like about Creating a Charmed Life?
-What other topics do you wish it had addressed?
-How is your life different today than it was 8 years ago (when I wrote that book)? - things like being older, the world situation, etc.
-What would you like to see in Living a Charmed Life?
-How do you see those titles as differing, Living a Charmed Life versus Creating one?

Please send your thoughts and ideas (if you have them) to charmedassistant@aol.com (and either way, thanks for letting me ask.)

Cause of the week...

My daughter Adair and one of my grand-dogs, Oliver, are going to be walking in the October 14 "Walk for the Animals" to benefit Farm Sanctuary. If you'd care to support them (and learn more about this cause), here's the link.

Recipe of the week:

Someone wrote, "I miss the recipe of the week." I never saw it as a regular thing, but gosh, it's always time for a good recipe. This one can't pass for health food, but it's one fabulous chocolate cake, courtesy of my mom, Gladys Marshall:

3-Hole Chocolate Cake

1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
3 Tbls. Cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup sugar (I use Sucanat, dried cane crystals)
½ tsp. salt


Sift together twice in 8"x8" baking pan (ungreased). Make 3 depressions in flour mix. Add:

1 Tbls. vanilla in one hole
1 Tbls. vinegar in second hole
5 Tbls. vegetable oil in third hole

Then add 1 cup cold water and mix well in pan. Bake at 350 F for 5-30 minutes, cool, frost, and celebrate. (And happy birthday to all you October babies, including my son-in-law Nick Moran!)

Quotation/affirmation of the week:

This is my very favorite affirmation. I found it in a little book called Metaphysical Meditations by Paramahansa Yogananda, way back when I was 18. I remember reading it for the first time on the plane coming back to the States after living in London. I didn't really want to be going home, but it felt like the right thing to do at the time. Then I read these lines and I knew that, wherever life took me, I'd be okay:

At the center of peace I stand. Nothing can harm me here.

If you're needing some peace today, know this. It's the truth.

- Victoria


OprahSelects.com -

Fat, Broke & Lonely No More was picked for OprahSelects.com since I was a guest on the Jean Chatzky Show on Oprah & Friends Radio. If you go to the page, there's a way to do a reader review if you'd like.

A Wonderful Book of the Week...

Living an Uncommon Life: Essential Lessons from 21 Extraordinary People by John St. Augustine

John St. Augustine is himself an extraordinary person who lives an uncommon life. I first worked with him as a guest on his radio programs that were dedicated to uplifting the world. He took a break from those several years ago when he donated a kidney to his daughter. Both Dad and daughter are doing great, and John is now producing for Oprah & Friends on XM Satellite Radio. (You can see pictures of John at his book party in NYC if you go to www.victoriamoran.com and click on "Pictures.")

Living an Uncommon Life is as inspiring as can be. Read a page and you'll feel as if you can do anything (you can, by the way). The book gives its readers something of the power of what John believes in so much: the spoken word passed from one human being to another.

John uses his years of experience interviewing exceptional people on his radio show as the basis for this powerful book. It includes conversations with Dr. Wayne Dyer, Oprah Winfrey, and the late John Denver, among many other inspirational people. Their advice, and John's, is practical and priceless.

This one's a keeper, to be read again and again.

Upcoming Event: Exclusive Fat, Broke & Lonely No More Workshop in NYC!

My workshop at the 92nd St. Y here in New York is coming up soon, and there's still a few spots left! If you've read the book-- or came to my book launch at Barnes & Noble in June and got just a taste of the revolutionary information contained in those pages-- then this is your opportunity to learn in-depth about those ideas. There will plenty of opportunities for one-on-one conversations and an opportunity to discuss the topics YOU want to explore, from relationship troubles, money issues, and eating anxiety to any of the topics in my previous books.

This workshop will jumpstart your life. If you're in the area, don't miss it!

Date: Thursday, October 11th
Time: 7-8:30pm
Location: Lexington Avenue at 92nd Street, NYC
Price: $25
To sign up, click here! or call (212) 415-5500.



WHERE I'LL BE...

-New York, NY: 92nd St. Y Expert Series, "Fat, Broke & Lonely No More" seminar (This is the creme de la creme... Don't miss this one!)

-Lake George, NY: TOPS conference, Oct. 13 (518-438-8928)

-Hamilton, Bermuda: Girls' Getaway Weekend, Oct. 18-21

-New York, NY: Learning Annex, "How to Live a More Spiritual Life." October 25, 6:45pm.